A chilled Filly

Thursday 16 September 2010

Small Circular Problem

I went to the yard yesterday to play with Filly and was a bit shocked to find that she was not in her field or the stable. The stable was all cleaned out as well. I thought that maybe she had been moved away and set off to find information quickly ! Finally found the yard owner who dropped a small bombshell. More a small firecracker really. Filly has caught ringworm, not off me I hasten to add. Several horses in her block have it. Surprisingly ring worm has nothing to do with perfectly circular worms, it is a fungal infection. A bit like a fairy ring I suppose. Hers is on her face and is a 1 inch diameter circle just below her right eye. All the hair has fallen out on the edge of the ring.
As a result of this she is in quarantine with another filly in a field at the end of the farm. AND she had to spend the night there. Thank God that by pure luck I have been doing so much training in the field with her recently. At least this gave a bit of a chance to adapt to being out in the dark.
I am actually not to displeased by this turn of events as it is forcing her to spend time with another horse who from my observation definitely acts like the alpha. Filly got a very rapid bite on the bum today when she did not yield away quickly enough. She will probably come to see me as a bit of a soft touch after this !!
We are practising complete hygene at the moment, and I am not getting close enough to touch her. She gets apples thrown from a short distance, but to her an apple is an apple irrespective of the delivery system. All her ropes and tack have been thoroughly washed in the washing machine, so hopefully the outbreak will be contained rapidly and I can get back to training.
Small success the other day. I lay across her back briefly. She was so upset she just stood there yawning, as left brain calm as you can get.
As a result of this small problem I have had time to get to know our new project "Billy". He is her big brother and currently lives in a field with a filly and pregnant mare. I have been playing some freindly game already with him, but today we started playing with the halter on. What a lovely horse. Very quickly we had yoyo game going (moving horse backwards and forwards. Very useful to get them out of your space). Hind quarter porcupine took a bit more effort but eventually started working as did fore quarter porcupine. The porcupine games basically consist of applying a steady pressure, in this instance with a stick, to the part of the horse you want to yield away. Note I say yield not push. The difference is subtle but very obvious when you see/feel it and very important. I really think we are going to have fun with Billy. Even after doing all these strange things to him he followed us most of the way to the gate so I guess we kept the rappor I had previously built up going. And he hasn't had any food from me yet !!

No comments: