A chilled Filly

Sunday 24 October 2010

Filly still playing dominance games

Another good days playing with the horses. Started with Billy in his new field. What a smart horse ! We played all the usual games as a warmup and then I finally managed to start the sideways game.
In the initial stages this is played facing a linear obstacle such as a menage fence or indoor school wall. I had put off playing this in the previous field as, to be honest, the fences are not safe. They are loose barbed wire with stray strands of chicken wire.
The new field on the yard has great fences though so I felt that the neglected sideways game should be tackled. I start by getting Billy to stand facing the fence and then just wait. Once confident with that a gentle fore quarter drive moves the front legs sideways away one step, then a hind quarter drive to move the hind legs away then fore quarter and repeat. To start with I was happy with a step or two, but as he gained confidence I increased this to about 4 steps. Of course he tries to go backwards, sideways, and turn whilst he learns to understand what I mean. With patience and gentle corrective pressure he soon got the idea though. This is a classic case of "making the wrong thing hard and the right thing easy". When he even tries to go purely sideways all pressure comes off, but if he moves in the wrong direction then corrective pressure comes on. Thus the right thing is like a "tunnel of calm" surrounded by walls of commotion. He learns to seek the calm tunnel of comfort.
I have to emphasise that in Billy's case the commotion I cause is very subtle, but with Filly it has to be very active. I have to play to the horsenality of the individual, which in a way sums up Natural Horsemanship well.
Talking of which I had another play with Filly. This is a very different horse. She needs lots to be happening to keep that active little mind working in my direction. Down time is used to plot against me !! We played the squeeze game between the jump and wall again. I must post a photo of this sometime as it a very effective squeeze to use. She was a little less confident with it and tended to charge through a bit. Rather than keep doing the same thing over and over expecting an improvement (a sure sign of madness) I switched to YoYo game through it. Backing her into the squeeze, getting her to stand, then drawing her slowly out. This improved her confidence a lot and she could then stand comfortably in the squeeze.
We did lots more circling, figure 8 and weave pattern. She had one little go at rearing at me again, but it was a bit half hearted and resulted in me forcefully backing her up the length of the school. She'll learn that it is not worth the effort of trying to take over my herd leadership eventually, but top marks for trying. It's fun to even make a game out of this.
Unlike Billy I find that the more pressure I put on her the better her expression becomes. Her ears prick up, her eyes sparkle and she has fun. Too gentle and not enough happening and she quickly looks dull and bored.
I am so lucky to be able to play with two opposite horsenalties every day, and a third when Ritchie lets me ! It is really helping my savvy improve very rapidly. I now understand why they say to be a great horseman you have to play with hundreds of horses. If only I could !! All I can say is.. never ever pass up the opportunity to play with a new horse, the rewards are huge.

No comments: