A chilled Filly

Saturday 13 November 2010

Set back with Filly's hoof

Ritchie and I had been away in Germany for a few days to visit my parents in law and relax at a very large health spa complex. 14 different saunas !! On returning home last night we quickly changed and dashed to the yard for a quick play with the horses.
Filly was in a very gentle, cuddly mood when I entered her box to pick out her feet. I had some trouble with the front feet. The lifting of the feet was fine but she would try and take the foot away from me just before I had placed it on the ground. One of our absolute principles is to never drop a hoof. We always place them on the ground, on a spot of our choosing and require that at that point the leg is relaxed. Filly can move the hoof afterwards to make herself comfortable, but MUST let us place it down first. Remember that control of movement is the definer of herd hierarchy and we take this to the movement of individual legs. I have to say that when Ritchie came home from a course and announced this I was skeptical, but have since discovered that it caused a rapid change in Filly's attitude to me in the box so have rigidly stuck to the principle. To start with she was very reluctant to let this happen as she knew it would be giving up another slice of dominance. The first few time took up to 15 minutes per leg to get them on the ground in a relaxed state, but now in general it is instant and easy.
Last night however she was very difficult about it which was frustrating after such good progress. She was also very difficult with the hind quarter porcupine yield with lots of tail swishing, again frustrating as she had been getting so good. I was ready to blame everyone for dropping feet and pushing her around badly, but I was missing the point that she was not acting bolshy, just resisting my commands. Her head was looking soft, with no flashing of teeth etc. I should have read the signs better.
Leading her out of the box it was immediately obvious that she was very lame on her bad hoof. Putting her back in the box I went for reinforcements, Ritchie ! Whilst she held Filly I carefully inspected the hoof finding nothing new wrong. But there was something wrong so I decided to dig the putty out. This must have been sore for her, but she did not move a muscle. I have taught her to put her hoof on a low mounting block so that I can work with two hands. She must have stayed there for 5 minutes not moving. When most of the putty was out the hoof pick started pulling out black muck which smelt really really bad. Obviously an infection had set in again. We rang Rick, having driven home to get a phone, and he suggested we reapply the hoof putty and we then try to bathe the hoof in salt water the next day.

So today Ritchie went to the yard this morning to assist in the bathing. A bit of a struggle was expected but in the event she was as good as gold, apart from trying to nibble Rick and anything else in range. To calm her down Ritchie suggested that Rick just act like a hay net and all would be fine !
She really has a very inquisitive nature and everything has to be investigated with her mouth. Not chewing generally, just tasting and worrying the object. We have just returned home from a second bathing tonight. The only problem occur ed when she spilled some of the water and went right brain about the resulting puddle. A new bowl of water and moving to a dry place and she was fine again. She even pivoted around the bathing foot without removing it from the bowl to investigate yet another turn out rug. hanging nearby.

One last really nice moment I must relate was from last night. I took her into the indoor school for a roll, and again she remained down in my presence whilst I rubbed her all over. This is so important to me as I have mentioned before, and will probably bore you all with again.

No comments: