A chilled Filly

Monday 17 January 2011

On Billys' back again

Just time to play with Billy today. Besides after falling asleep yesterday I thought maybe Filly needed a break.
As always I started with the Plan to ride check-list but this time spent a little more time on the prepare to ride section. This involves ensuring that Billy is confident doing online what I want to do riding. Now at the moment all I want to do is lie on him, however some of the first riding actions will be indirect rein to disengage the hind quarters and slow him down IF he tanks of, backup off halter pressure and looking a bit further ahead, follow the rail.
For indirect rein I am making sure that the hind quarter porcupine is working well. He has a tendency to move backwards when I ask for this, but I have found that keeping one hand on his withers discourages this and we are starting to get some really nice yields.
For the backup I am using porcupine on his nose to apply gentle pressure to get him to move backwards. I am also lightly pulling the halter back. Both are working really well.
For follow the rail I am asking for multiple circling laps at walk and trot, not breaking gait with no input from me. Again very good.
I am beginning to run out of excuses for not riding him.
We moved to the mounting block and after a little trouble getting a nice standstill in position I lay across him, at which point he rapidly left. The beauty of doing this bare back is I merely slid off and landed on my feet and could get him back to the block in short order, making it the safe comfortable place. The next attempt was completely successful with a perfect standstill and total relaxation.
With this success under my belt I decided to try the lying horizontal again. I really physically struggle to get my legs onto his back and my legs rub and bump him all over. However he stayed totally still again and relaxed. What I didn't mention is all of this was accomplished with Ritchie and Bonitao playing at the other end of the smallish indoor school. It did let Ritchie get a photo however !!

No comments: