A chilled Filly

Friday 14 October 2011

Haltering with Savvy

You'll find this in the Plan link on the right of this page but I thought I would quickly highlight this section in a post.
I have been really emphasising this since my two weeks with James in the summer. The ability to watch him and his team for two weeks as they so gently and carefully put the halter or bridle on their horse drove home to me the importance of this aspect of my horsemanship.
Too halter with savvy I start by standing by Filly's neck and lightly pass the poll line over her neck. I then move back to stand by her shoulder facing forwards and using light pressure on the line ask her head and nose to tip round towards me in a lateral flexion and lower her head to the level of my tummy. This is of course a submissive and trusting pose for a horse to enter. A predator will try and achieve this lateral flexion pose when it attacks as it removes all the forward drive from the prey. Thus to willingly put herself in this position when I ask shows that she trusts me with her life, and as each time nothing bad happens to her deepens her believe that I won't harm her increasing that trust.
Then with infinite care I pass the nose band over her mouth, gently wriggle the halter into place and tie the knot. Should she try and turn her head away from me I just lightly and persistently ask for it to relax back around. To aid this process initially she then got a treat whilst still in the lateral flexion further emphasising that this submissive position could actually be quite pleasant.
Taking the halter off is also an art. To start with if it is in the field after a play session I always take her to the water barrels. This is where she is apt to go when released and I would rather that her first action when the halter is removed is not to leave me. Thus taking her to the place she is likely to go reduces the chances of her just walking off.
Removing the halter is just the reverse process of putting it on. I stand by her shoulder, ask for her head to come round in the lateral flexion and lower, undo the knot and ever so gently slide the head collar off. I tend to keep my right arm wrapped around her nose as it comes off, allow the head collar to drop to the ground and use my left hand to give her a treat. Then using porcupine pressure on the side of her head I guide her to the water, thus becoming the water provider as well.
This whole process takes no longer than not bothering with this ritual and I suspect less time. We are putting the halter on and off together, it is not something I am doing too her, I am doing it for and with her. I have found that with consistency she offers the positions now and putting the head collar on is easier, quicker and sets up the start of the training day on the right note. Removing the head collar in this fashion is the last impression she has of me for the day and I would rather her overnight thoughts of me were gentle and reassuring rather than having the head collar rudely removed and then her escaping from me.
As James always says at the end of a lesson, "put them away as though they were your best mates".
The result for me ? She now meets me in the field and walks with me at liberty to the gate. The other day we trotted at liberty to the gate. She positions herself to be haltered. At the end of the day she is reluctant to leave me and on occasion stands at the fence as I walk away until I am out of sight.


No comments: