A chilled Filly

Monday 27 February 2012

The future

Following the recent events I have had a few days to reflect and make some decisions.

First decision.
This turn of events has to be viewed as an opportunity. I can now focus more on my riding skills on our horse Bonitao and as luck would have it a couple of good friends have asked me to help them with a young 18month old colt.

Second decision.
This blog will continue, but of course will not be about Filly or Billy at the present. However in honor of two young horses who taught me so much in such a short time the name will remain the same. I'll document my riding and ground skills progress with Bonitao and add some more theoretical behavior posts as I get time to research and write them.

Third decision.
I am still committed to following my dream of becoming, in time, a proficient colt starter. I don't know why this somewhat dangerous aspect of horsemanship appeals to me so much, but it just does. Until you have experienced the joy and heartache of trying it, it is probably difficult to understand. I guess part of it is that I have always loved to teach. In the past I have lectured on all aspects of gliding for example. Everything from aerodynamics to human sports psychology. The joy of seeing progress in human or animal is brilliant and in young colts there is the satisfaction of seeing very rapid changes. Not just tiny incremental improvements in some dressage move or other but massive changes in their manner on an almost minute by minute basis.

Having said all that I am going to review Pats advice on approaching a horse in their stable and that will be the subject of my next technical post.

No comments: