A chilled Filly

Wednesday 4 April 2012

Parelli Techniques

Here is a copy of my latest post to the Parelli forum as I think it may be of interest here.

A few comments on a different thread (Patience Pole) set me thinking about this topic. What is and what is not a "Parelli Technique" ?
My take on it is that anything you do with a horse, so long as you are honouring the 8 principles is a Parelli Technique.
For example "place the feet down" where you ensure that everytime you pick a horses hoof up you are able to place it down in a relaxed way and rest it on the tip of its toe, the horse only moving the foot after the conversation is ended by you removing your hand. This simple task, when you think deeply about it, upholds all the principles but I have never seen it demonstrated on any DVD (please correct me if I am wrong).
The point is that whilst Pat has furnished us with many "techniques" to use I believe he is only selecting some of his obviously enormous repertoire to share with us and the main purpose of the selected ones is to demonstrate how to use the principles in context not to suggest that they are the only techniques that are valid.
I would point out that one of the 7 keys to success is Imagination. Surely this would not be mentioned if we were not to use our imagination to generate new techniques that will help us achieve our goals in any specific situation. I for one study many other clinicians ideas and techniques to further my own savvy but always try to apply such knowledge within the framework of the Principles, Qualities, etc etc. (For those who want a handy view of all the structures within PNH take a look at the link to Parelli Framework on the right side of my blog FillyBilly.blogspot.com ). Surely if such techniques work and comply with the ethos of Parelli they are by definition Parelli techniques even if they have not been explicitly demonstrated by Pat or Linda themselves.

No comments: