A chilled Filly

Friday 25 January 2013

Not riding is an opportunity not a negative

The snow is still here, but there is hopes of a thaw tomorrow.
I've continued to play with Filly however and this period of enforced ground work has actually not been a bad thing.
To start with, I find it is easier to build rapport from the ground, and that has improved to a high standard again. For example today I played with Filly at liberty in a small indoor school whilst Ritchie played with Bonitao online. Ritchie was getting Bonitao to do some pretty snappy transitions from walk to canter, but even then Filly stayed with me and we continued our work. Even when that work was canter circles at liberty.
The aim remains to improve the hind quarter porcupine yields (hqpy )and maintain the responsibilities on the circle.
The hqpy have improved a great deal. Filly will now step away from the pressure nice and softly, and with a good facial expression, but still with a tail swish. It is the tail swish I would like her to get over so that I can say they are becoming good. Until then I will continue to work on them everyday. During this training I found the best position to be in was with my back towards her sides and then just gently use the back of my hand to apply the pressure. This overcame a lot of her opposition to the pressure.
I think that turning my back on her immediately lessened the emotional pressure, and using the back of my hand (i.e fist) it feels less like a claw and gives a softer feel. I am now gradually introducing turning my body to face her, but it is a case of approach and retreat to get her confidence.
As for the responsibilities, they are getting pretty good. Given that we had the distraction of Bonitao also cantering around online Filly still managed a very nice steady 3 laps of canter at liberty on both reins. That shows a marked improvement in her concentration over the last week or so. I am hoping it will translate into more responsiveness and forwards when we get to ride again.

It puzzles me how few riders takes the opportunity to use this non-riding time to work on the ground skills with their horses. Some do take there horses in the school to lunge them to stretch their legs from the weather enforced box rest. But they do not use the time they are spending with their horses anyway to improve their ground work and ultimately their riding. Besides it's fun !

No comments: