A chilled Filly

Wednesday 31 July 2013

A great ride

Today I followed the plan and had one of the best rides I've ever had on Filly.
As before I laid out a circle with a cone in the middle and 8 markers around the edge. I can't visualise an accurate circle to save my life so the markers really help my focus and consistency.
We started with all the normal prepare to ride stuff, but I concentrated on the circling game with me standing next to the cone.I also made sure she stayed on a proper circle and not an egg shape. We also did some 3 track and 4 track work at walk and trot just to get her used to a little sideways.
After mounting we had a couple of minute intense conversation on the subject of indirect reins. I just stayed focussed, ignored her protests until she did a couple of nice relaxed steps. Then we soaked on that for a long time with lots of licking and chewing from both of us.
Once done we went onto the "follow the rail" to get relaxation at walk and trot before going onto the circle I had marked out. Today the circles were amazing. Having got rhythm and relaxation and forwards on the circle holding the reins I just dropped them onto the saddle horn and rode very light gentle circles without them. We did indirect reins (without reins, but you know what I mean) around markers to go back the other way. That was all at walk.
Back to rhythm and relaxation on the circle at trot, drop the reins again and she was an absolute star on very circular circles.
A couple of side passes over the central cone, one of her favourite games, and the school work was done.
We celebrated with a nice gentle walk out along the local lanes with Ritchie walking Bonitao in hand for support. The most relaxed hack out I've ever had on her.
They say life is as good as your last ride. Tonight life is good :) :)

No comments: