A chilled Filly

Monday 2 September 2013

Filly and Spurs

After the very nice ride bridleless the other day I was hoping for more of the same.

However when I rode two days ago it was obvious that we weren't going to be taking the halter off. She was really testing my leadership and wanting to go to the gate. She was also not responding to my leg when it came to hind quarter yields and I had to reach down and use my finger nails to back up the steady pressure from my heel. It may have been that she was tired or just in the mood to test my leadership but if she is ever to become my bridle horse for colt starting and horse development we need to have a better understanding of our jobs.
Having mulled over the problem I decided that maybe riding her with spurs again would help. Last time I don't think she was mentally ready for that step and it got a little "interesting" :) .
So yesterday I went to the yard with the intention of just doing whatever was needed to prepare her to be ridden with spurs.
Ground work consisted of lots of friendly game with the spurs. I used them to scratch all those itchy spots. Rolled them over her belly and flanks until she relaxed and then used them with porcupine pressure to ask for little hind quarter yields. All went very well.
So I mounted very carefully with the spurs on. Her attitude was immediately different. She was willing, relaxed and only a little defensive if I actually touched her with the spurs. Her sensitivity to my leg aids was amazing. Just tensing my calf muscles was enough to get a response. She obviously knew I had and effective phase 4 now and didn't want to provoke me into using it. As they say "to get a light phase one you need an effective phase four". I guess I touched her less than half a dozen times with the spurs, their mere presence was enough.
We only did walk and I only rode for 15 minutes or so. In that time I achieved what I wanted to and saw no need to prolong the ride to where it might get sour.
So why was she so much better?
I have often noticed with Filly that if I play firmly with a real leadership and playful attitude in my body language she quickly becomes not only more compliant but also calmer. I guess she is a horse that craves strong leadership and feels safer and more relaxed when that is what I offer. Being firm with her and very clear about what I want actually increases the bond rather than driving her away.
Try that with Ritchies horse Bonitao and watch the rapport vanish rapidly. Thank heavens I am in a program that emphasises the difference in the horsenality of different horse and teaches you how to cope with each type.

No comments: