A chilled Filly

Tuesday 22 December 2015

Buck Brannaman 7 Clinics

I have always wanted to have this set of videos since I saw the Buck film which is about Bucks life. When making that film the film makers took hundreds of hours of video. Obviously it did not all make it into the final movie. They realised that what was left over, whilst maybe not that interesting to a non horsey public, was great teaching material for those who do understand horses.

I quick search on ebay and I got a set for £39. A bargain, except it was coded to the USA. Fortunately my very old DVD player came out before coding so it plays without a problem. They arrived a few days ago and with excitement I've started to watch them.

All I can say is "WOW". This is like watching my old instructor James, but more so. The format is that they have taken the clips from 7 clinics held around the USA. They've then sorted them so that each chapter covers and individual topic with clips from more than one clinic. This is actually a brilliant format as you see the ideas explained several times, a demo or two from Buck and then students trying to emulate him. Listening to his comments as they work is very informative as you can learn as much from seeing mistakes as you can from perfection. Maybe more !

Most of the exercises and ideas Buck puts across are not new to me, but his presentation of those ideas makes them make even more sense. The areas he is particular on are also highlighted as is the lightness he expects from the horses. I suspect that I would not be getting as much out of the DVDs if I did not already know a fair bit about Natural Horsemanship, but even for the beginner there is plenty to see and try to understand.

So far I have only watched the ground school DVDs (two of them) and they have already made a difference for Filly and I. We have been experimenting with lightness on the halter to both back up and direction changes. Watching Bucks timing and the phases he uses has already made me more effective. I guess you could say that they have sharpened me up on both going up and down phases as needed and made me more particular, without being pushy, about what we are trying to achieve.

So if you've been thinking about getting this series I would not hesitate in recommending it.

No comments: