A chilled Filly

Thursday 2 December 2010

Good day with both

Started with Billy today as he has been a bit neglected recently, save for cuddles ! Set up all the usual toys in the school, tarp cones etc. No sooner had we entered when two of the yard girls, Perry and Amy came in on horses that needed exercising. They were happy to ride around us, but Billy was more than a little disturbed by their presence. He was very right brain for a good period of time. For me this was very interesting. This is the second horse I have introduced to horses that are being ridden, and the result has been the same on both occassions. It seems that until they are exposed and habituated to it the sight of a predator on a fellow prey animals back produces a real flight response. Logical when I put it like that, but not obvious until you see it !! I wonder if anyone can comment on similar experiences, it would be interesting to get a sample of more than two.
It would follow that prior to riding a horse for the first time they should be exposed to as many ridden horses as possible so that they get used to predator on prey. I have read that horses with a stall from which they can see other horses being trained are easier to train themselves. Relating this to the wild this is obvious. Observing another member of the herd evading a predator, for example, should result in a learned response without direct experience. In the wild one mistake leads to death and no breeding. Behavioural evolution should therefore select strongly for those that have the ability to not only learn by experience, but also learn by observing others experiences.
I have to say I was very impressed by the way the girls managed to ride the various bucks/spooks that Billy provoked without being unseated.
After they left things calmed down a bit and I was able to continue with the lesson. Preparation for being ridden was high on the agenda, with particular emphasis today on standing next to me whilst I was on a mounting block. Apparently around 95% of all human injuries occur during the mounting/dismounting phase of riding. Getting Billy to stand still for extended periods of time next to the mounting block is therefore a vital if saftey on the first few rides is to be acheived.
After Billy I had time for a quick session with Filly. Again preparation for riding was uppermost in my mind and to that end I used James formula upto saddling (although I used a bareback pad). This then progressed into lots of motion with the pad on to get her used to the feel of the girth as she moves. All the usual games including sideways were used. We also did lots of playing with the ball, which I am sure she is going to puncture soon. It it a pilates ball and needs more air. At one point she manged to pick it up with her teeth and trot round with it!! Ritchie and I also had fun throwing it over her back, bouncing it on her etc. She just chased after it and kicked it around like a little cat with a ball of string. No right brain moments at all. This may all just sound like a laugh (which it is) but the serious point is to get her used to a large object bouncing all around her and on her back. One day that large object will be me !!

No comments: