A chilled Filly

Monday 20 December 2010

More Dominance games with Filly

First the good news. When I entered Fillys' stable this evening she was much more docile with only a couple of half hearted nip attempts, which a quick finger tip porcupine soon dissuaded. We then went to the indoor school and as she had been confined to the stable all day I let her at liberty for a leg stretch. After a roll she had a bit of fun and then made it obvious she wished to play. We had a great session with stick to me, circling game, circle reversals and even falling leaf all at liberty. As quick as I switched the game she reacted.
When it came to trot in stick to me there was a suggestion of dominance with a good deal of prancing and head tossing. Eventually she played all her cards and gave me a nice kick on the left thigh. Phase 4 from her resulted in Phase 4 from me and I managed to slap her hind quarters with the Savvy string as she went past. This was quite a shock to her, she obviously had thought that phase 4 was her domain.
Now you would expect that after doing this to her she would run away and not come back, and if I had done this without provocation this would almost certainly have been the result. But horses respect someone who matches phases with them as long as it is done within around 3 seconds. After that the incident is over in their minds and any action on the humans part is considered unjustified. After a quick run around she came back and stood neatly by my side again. More stick to me to try and provoke another reaction, which duly occurred.
Another "correction" with the savvy string. More running around and again she came back to me. After each correction I made a point of dropping my energy right down rather than staying tense and high energy. Being able to use high phase and the instantly erase the incident from my mind I find is very important. It is what horses do with each other. A quick correction then back to grazing with no hard feelings.
On this occasion there was a noticeable change in her attitude. Her head was in a lower more submissive position and she stuck to me like glue. We did several more minutes of gentle stick to me with particular emphasis on turns towards her. Very nicely done with no dominance at all. At last I came to a halt and she just stood calmly next to me with lots of licking and chewing as I gently scratched her.
Halter back on for the journey to the box, but it really wasn't necessary

No comments: