A chilled Filly

Thursday 19 January 2012

It tough on a traditional yard

I've put off writing this for a long time, since the blog started really. Practising Natural Horsemanship on a Traditional English yard is not easy. You need to be tough and have real conviction that what you are doing is right for both yourself and more importantly the horse. One of the major problems is fitting in around the other horses and owners. As you are the odd one out you have to fit in around them, not vice versa. For example I was working in the outdoor school with Filly one day, using the stick with bag attached. We were just doing circling game, with changes of direction when a traditional rider appeared. I was immediately told to stop using the stick and bag and had to leave. No one questioned whether it was wise for the rider to be on a horse that got upset by a bag moving around, as I am sure such an object will never be encountered in the real world !
I was planning to take Filly to James at the weekend, just to give her a drive in the trailer. This had been agreed before hand but it was made clear to me that I could not use our methods of loading her in the trailer. We work on the principle that it is "not about the trailer". If she does not load I would work with her to gain confidence in me as a leader such that eventually she would load quietly and calmly, Then ask her to come out again without shutting the door so she understands that the trailer is actually just another toy. Once she was really confident in the trailer then the door is closed and we can go for a drive. Today I was told I could take Filly but there would be none of that "running up and down the ramp, just load her and go". Well this goes against all my principles so I have decided not to try and load her at all.
The upshot of all of this is that I tend to play with Filly when it is quiet, or in the little used indoor school just to avoid all the negative vibes I get otherwise. It does help that my wife, Ritchie, also practises Natural Horsemanship so we can support each other. I really take my hat off to folks who don't have support and still stick by their principles under difficult circumstances. Looking at the Parelli map as to the number of people who are taking up Natural Horsemanship there is hope that it will slowly gain acceptance and we will be less isolated. I'm sure there will be a "Tipping Point" at which suddenly the majority of folks will at least be more tolerant and interested in the practise.

No comments: