A chilled Filly

Sunday 1 January 2012

Time for some resolutions

Happy New Year to all.
Over the festive period we have of course continued to play with the horses. Our little problem with Bonitao is sorting itself out. If you remember we had trouble with him bolting when lead to the field. After a lesson with Becca we broke the pattern of him bolting by sending him sideways to the field, or even backwards. This ensured that we easily had control over his head and if he looked towards the field it was easy to give a little pressure on the lead rope to remove the evil intention with minimum force. This was clearly not a long term solution so after much thought I decided to make the gate entrance a place of "safety and comfort". This was achieved by placing lots of carrots there, allowing him to eat some of them, then leading him into the field to do some work. Circling and falling leaf patterns were usually used with an emphasis on not letting him stop moving until we arrived back at the gate. Thus the field became a place of work and the gate a place of pleasure. He now makes a real effort to get to the gate, but not past it. We have to remain very consistent with this to bury the previous pattern of behaviour under new experiences. The old pattern will surely remain but with vigilance we hope to prevent its re-emergence.
For me this has been a very rewarding experience. In the past I have been learning and trying to apply the Principles of Natural Horsemanship, but it has largely been in play. This is the first time I have been able to use the principles to correct a potentially very dangerous situation. The real trick, if there is one, is not to get frustrated or tense. I really emphasised the idea of "How interesting" even when he gave me serious rope burn. Not getting frustrated was the key and this was best achieved by genuinely using the situation to get the best learning experience I could. In some ways, perversely, I wish the situation had continued longer so that I could have learnt more. As for remaining relaxed I used a tip from Pat Parelli and whistled if I felt uneasy.

So my first resolution is to learn as much as possible from all such situations. Mentally turn "Problems" into "Learning Opportunities" and be genuinely thankful for them. Afterall I would learn nothing from a perfectly behaving horse.

As for Filly, we are progressing well. Lead by the tail took a massive leap forwards (or should that be backwards?) two days ago. She will now not only lead backwards with rearwards pressure but also do very nice hind quarter yields with lateral pressure. My aim of doing figures of 8 backwards with just the tail for guidance (notice I did NOT say control) is getting closer.
Figures of 8 at trot have improved greatly since I made them more interesting. We now set up 2 cones and 2 jumps. In this configuration there are now 6 possible figure 8 patterns, some with jumps involved. Randomly using each possible pattern Filly now has to really pay attention as to where to go next whilst upholding her responsibilities (Maintain gait, direction and look where she is going). The result has been a much happier expression on her face and a greater willingness to play. We don't even have to stay around the obstacles. Travelling circles take us away from them and back to them again adding to the interest.
As we both love liberty I even tried to do the 6 patterns without a halter. As usual we were probably better than with the rope on.

This leads to my second resolution. Be more progressive and PLAYFUL. After all we are supposed to be entertainment for our horses as much as they are for us. I have found that if I bias the entertainment in their direction I actually have more fun too !

The third resolution is just to get better at listening to horses. I feel that I can read them pretty well, but I don't always listen and respond to what I just read. This can really hold me back as I wind up in a mental fight with them and as they are bigger and stronger I can only win that fight at the expense of Fillies' dignity and with the use of force. Not how I wish to relate to Filly.

No comments: