A chilled Filly

Tuesday 10 July 2012

Canter seems to be improving

After yesterdays less than perfect session (!) Ritchie and I analysed the problem last night. To get a canter transition I felt that I could not physically apply phase 4 pressure with my leg, largely because I am kind of tall and as a result it is difficult to apply pressure with my heel. We decided that my only resort was a stick, a junior carrot stick to be precise. These have virtually no flex so cannot be used as a whip but can be used to backup to my heel with a tap. The tap must be applied rhythmically and with increasing frequency, but not force, as the phase is increased.
So the sequence of phases is as follows. 1) From trot, sit in the seat and take up the canter motion with my body, whilst thinking "canter". 2) Slide outside leg back and apply some pressure with my heel. 3) Tap my own leg twice with the carrot stick to create some rhythmic motion. 4) Tap Bonitao with the stick, just behind my leg and with increasing frequency. 
If at any point he starts to offer canter all the pressure is removed and I just maintain the canter motion in my body. Thus the phases are built gradually and removed immediately the required response is achieved. For best effect I should of course time all this to occur with the point at which the outside hind leg just leaves the ground and increase the phases with each full stride, but to be honest I am not that good yet :-)
The result today was a huge improvement. I only once had to tap with the stick on Bonitaos body, and even then it was only two taps. After that he was cantering off just the leg aid, although it was sometimes a stride late. That could have been because my timing relative to the outside hind was wrong.
I have also been struggling with my riding position at canter, but after my session on the mechanical horse the other day I at least knew what it should feel like. The key was to really relax my shoulders and also to concentrate on my head position. The combination of these two things loosened up my lower back and we felt much more in tune with each other. I am not all the way there yet but at last I can see light at the end of the tunnel. So all in all a very good day !!

No comments: