A chilled Filly

Saturday 21 July 2012

Visiting Filly

Yesterday I decided to go and see how Filly is getting on and see if she remembered me.
Armed with some apples I approached her field where she was busy grooming with a couple of other horses over the fence. On calling her name her head popped up and looked, but she went back to grooming. I climbed through the fence as the gate area is very very muddy and called again. Again she looked round, but this time she must have recognised me. She came straight at me with a little whinny and stopped just in front. She had clearly remembered me. She took one apple carefully but greedily and then we just moved around the field together. She stopped to graze occasioanly but always kept up. She clearly wanted to play and actually started circling me at one point, although I hadn't asked. A quick hind quarter yield and she came back to me for her other apple.
We spent a long time with me scratching her all over. Loads of hair came out so she must have been itchy. Even areas, like her flank, where she did not previously like being scratched got a look of ecstasy on her face. She tried to reciprocate, but not wanting to be nibbled I just let her lick my hand.
The time came to leave as a big shower apporached. She followed me all the way to the fence and then walked alongside as I headed back to the barn area. She even walked through some thick mud (very un-Filly like) to stay near me as I left. My last view was of pricked ears as she watched all the way until I was out of sight.
All this after several months of not seeing her. They really don't forget individuals and it was nice to spend time with one of my best friends again.

No comments: