A chilled Filly

Wednesday 5 September 2012

So much has happened.

Again, a very long break from blogging. To be honest things have been in such turmoil it was difficult to know what to write and what to leave out. Finally a time of order and stability has come, I hope !

Mini
I have continued to play with Mini on a semi regular basis. We are make good progress together. I have a Liberty clinic to attend with Mini on the 15th/16th September at Larisa's ranch where he is housed. This is with Michael Grohmann, one of the best Liberty instructors in the world. Nervous ? Me ? Yes ! I have this recurrent nightmare of Mini leaving me, ducking under all the fences (which he can do!) with me in hot pursuit, jumping over fences.
To try and forestall this we have been doing a fair bit of Liberty recently. I am pleased to say that he has not left me once, and his draw to me is very good. Hopefully all will be well.

Shana
The power of the internet is frightening. It is no secret that Shana is in some financial difficulties. Someone at the yard did an internet search for Shana Equestrian Ltd and came up with a website that stated it entered liquidation on the 14th August 2012. For many this was the final nail in the coffin and within days Ritchie, myself and Charlotte were the only ones left on the yard. With the yard manager Kath leaving with 1/2 hours notice things got very difficult. I also searched for information on the liquidation on UK Companies house and found that Shana Equestrian Ltd actually entered liquidation in April 2011 and apparently transferred assets to CC Equestrian Ltd at that time. In effect it was a change of trading name. The website folks had come up with apparently trawls Companies house for company data, if it finds "liquidation" against a companies name it adds todays date and so the company appears to have only just failed.
This resulted in just Ritchie, Charlotte and me riding at Shana. We managed to stick with this for several weeks whilst I generally helped to tidy the yard up, but in the end we felt it was too dangerous to be riding with no one else around most of the time. Reluctantly we had to move, though we are remaining good friends with Hamish and Lucy who live there. I must put on record our thanks for the hospitality they both showed throughout the difficult times. I would also like to thank Charlotte for the help with looking after Bonitao after the yard manager so abruptly left.

Manor Farm.
As a result of the need to leave Shana we needed to find another place for Bonitao. We searched many places, but in the end wound up moving back to Manor Farm. The yard manager is now our friend, Amy. The yard now feels a place of calm and peace with much laughing and joking. In addition 5, yes five, Parelli folks moved in on the same day. We have only been there since Saturday but I have already been in the big hay field cantering around and generally having fun with Bonitao. I think our time at Shana has greatly increased our confidence in riding. It was sink or swim at Shana. Yesterday, for example, I was riding in the outdoor school when another rider asked if she could free school her horse soon. I said "sure why not". After being at Shana I thought nothing of the situation. The new horse was a bit flighty to start, which was great for my focus, but we soon settled into a nice pattern of circling on the opposite sides of the school. Again great focus needed to maintain the separation between us. I think I worried Amy and Rick, the yard owner, for which I am sorry. It just never occurred to me there was a problem. I felt it was good practise for my impending "Boot Camp" at James Roberts in October :-)

Filly
That brings me to Filly. Rick has stopped trying to train her as a race horse. She has too many old injuries for that to be realistic. As a result I am allowed to play with her again, but with the proviso that I may loose her at any minute if the owner takes her away to breed from.
I have only had one session so far. She has not forgotten a thing in the six months since my last session. If anything she was better at some games. According to Rick she has transformed since I am back on the yard, becoming much quieter and calmer. Yesterday I went round her field fixing her fence. She hardly left my side. She stopped to graze a few times, but then cantered to catch up. Have you any idea what a great feeling that is ? Long may it continue, but I have to prepare myself for possibly loosing her as well.

Not much horsemanship in this blog I know, but I thought I needed to explain why I have been a little busy to write recently. Normal service should resume shortly !

No comments: