A chilled Filly

Tuesday 25 September 2012

Holiday booked for Filly

Ritchie and I spent the day at James Roberts yesterday. As usual we learnt a huge amount, mostly about the application of various training patterns to different stages of horse development.
One of the main reasons for our visit was to discuss Filly however. He seemed genuinley pleased that I had bought her at last. Of course he hasn't met her yet :-) . He asked what my plans for her were. I said that I want to develop her to level 4 in the Parelli program then continue our development together into some Western classes such as reining. I also admitted to my desire to continue my own development in the direction of young horse starting and development and having Filly be my working partner in this. And of course just general hacking out. He was good enough to encourage me in all those aims.
We then discussed her immediate future. Despite her being backed as a race horse he suggested booking her in for a restart. Not that the race backing has been necessarily bad, I haven't ridden her or seen her ridden so can't comment on that, just that her new career needs a different emphasis in her basic training.
I am going to James on October 7th for my Experience Week course. He quickly checked his schedule for that period and agreed to my taking her with me for her course which will be 3 weeks long.
This could not have worked better. I can now watch the first week of her training, taking the blame for all the things she knows that she shouldn't of course. Very exciting developments and all seems to be happening so fast.
My emphasis for the next two weeks is obviously going to be trailer loading. So lots of squeeze game, and friendly game I guess. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: