A chilled Filly

Tuesday 29 March 2011

Billy feeling pooped

A couple of days ago I again rode Billy. Earlier in the day this time so no dusk light spookiness. Again all the preparation went off with no problems at all.
Analysing the previous sessions I decided to introduce weave pattern and figure 8 pattern to give more purpose to the direct and indirect rein when ridden. To prepare for this we practised online first of course. The principle I use is to simulate what I intend to do when riding whilst playing online. Again these simulations were very good.
On mounting however he was not in such a good mood. Lateral flexions were still a little mouthy on my boot, and indirect rein resulted in a small buck. We had taken advice from James Roberts on this problem and he gave the following advice. Really concentrate on starting with turning the eyes, then the belly button, then very lightly add pressure with the heel (using the hair, skin, muscle, bone phases) then if required use the rein. I also gained from a Chris Cox DVD that I must ensure that the weight should be on the opposite seat bone to the leg I am using. Combining all this advice I got some very nice yields with virtually no pressure on the leg at all. He had been telling me to lighten up all this time, but I had not been listening. Horses teach humans indeed, but only if they listen.
Despite this little advance I still had an upset Billy who was not feeling cooperative at all.
After around 7 or 8 minutes of frustration on both our parts he suddenly pooped. It was like riding a different horse. He offered to follow the rail with very few corrections needed. Indirect rein became really good and we both felt relaxed. After a few minutes of this I rewarded him by getting off.
Now the question is : Does he suddenly relax and feel that he can poop, or does the pooping cause him to feel more comfortable and relaxed ?
I should add that all this relaxed riding took place with the field next to the school being very noisily harrowed. Other riders didn't even ride their experienced horses whilst this was going on, but by maintaining my focus Billy just ignored it.

No comments: