A chilled Filly

Friday 4 March 2011

Falling off Bonitao

Since a couple of falls a few weeks ago, due partly to my lack of balance and largely the saddle slipping I have been toying with the idea of practising emergency dismounts. I tried a couple a few nights ago but decided to really practise last night. Rather than use one of the youngsters we decided to use Bonitao, Ritchie's horse. I was a little apprehensive, but with a couple of the girls from the yard (who now think I am truly nuts) watching felt I had to go for it. I have to say it was actually kind of fun. Bonitao looked more amused than worried as both Ritchie and I repeatedly got on and threw ourselves off. I won't describe the technique here but those interested will find a short chapter in GaWaNi PonyBoy's book "Horse Follow Closely" on how to do it. A book, by the way, I thoroughly recommend. Being a pilot I fully subscribe to the saying "Prepare for the inevitable, the probable, the possible and the unthinkable". It just seems common sense to me to have an emergency procedure practised that might, just might, help save my hide someday. I am slightly surprised at how many people don't do this sort of thing.
Back to the youngsters.
I have played with both in the last few days, mostly just fun things with Filly. For example we spent ages playing with a low jump circling online the other night. Again I used the approach to the jump as a kind of question box, deciding just a few strides before the jump if she was to jump it, stop, go around it etc. This makes it fun for her and teaches her to keep asking me questions. To add spice I laid a few poles on the ground at other parts of the circle to really keep her thinking. By the look on her face we both had a lot of fun and her attitude to me is noticeably changing as a result of these games. She seems to be regarding me as more of a leader and is more respectful. I guess you only really ask questions of a leader after all, not a subordinate.
All these games are of course played as part of the prepare to ride section of the plan. Just because I can't ride her (I'm too heavy) does not mean that the discipline of the plan is not followed. I cannot stress enough how this allows me to analyse what parts of the plan are broken if I have a problem and easily fix them compared with my old scatter gun method where it was difficult to see what was wrong, let alone how to fix it.
To aid in the riding, when it eventually happens, I have been doing loads of zone 3 driving. This is like leading but I walk alongside her and guide her from abeam where I would sit on a saddle. The carrot stick is laid across her withers in a neutral friendly position if all is going well. If she tries to cut in front of me then the stick (with a bag on the end) is used to front quarter drive her onto a straight line again. If she falls behind then the stick is lifted above her rump (phase one) and then in phases waved up and down, then tapping more and more firmly until she moves up to the right position again. Her responsibility is to maintain station (gait), and maintain direction. If she does this then the stick stays neutral, if not then it is used to remind her of her responsibilities (note this emphasis rather than using it for punishment). Should she try to turn away from me then pressure on the lead rope keeps her straight.
To guide her where to go I use the power of focus. I look in the direction I wish to travel in and fix my eyes on a spot on the wall. Just prior to a turn I look in the new direction as a phase one ask for the turn. If all goes well that is all I need to do, if not other forces are bought into play as above. Even if she blocks my view by turning across me I still maintain my directional focus, keep walking in that direction and correct as required with the stick using my peripheral vision. If she manages to get me to break focus she wins that round of the game.
The purpose of this game is many fold. It teaches her to maintain gait, maintain direction and look where she is going, it teaches me to use the natural power of focus. It also puts her in a position of being out in front, but still accepting me as the leader as would happen when riding.
Last night a special thing happened. She voluntarily moved forwards putting me in zone 5 (behind her tail). She still readily accepted my direction and we had a great time zone 5 driving. Even halts were snappy. At times she amazes me with her sudden spurts of learning. It really seems that learning occurs in a plateau/jump system rather than steady continuous progress. The jumps make it all worthwhile.
I have been doing similar games with Billy. He seemed to have pulled a muscle in the field recently so I have not been riding him. However my riding experience suggested that he did not understand what a tickle with my hand on his rump meant, resulting in a few little bucks. Using the plan I could work out that zone 3 driving needed fixing. As expected when I tapped his rump with the carrot stick to ask him to go forwards he bucked. This is not naughtiness, he just did not understand what I meant. After lots of zone 3 driving, with a light tap just as we moved off, he now associates the tap with "move forwards" and the frustrated bucks have all but disappeared. Tonight we had some really good driving game, even at trot, with some very smart trot to halt transitions.
Some more of the plan is now written up. All the boxes to "Indirect/Direct Rein" are now completed, with some editing still left to be done. I am away in Dar Es Salaam for the next four days so no updates, but maybe some more plan completed.

No comments: