A chilled Filly

Sunday 20 March 2011

Riding Billy Outside

Riding Billy indoors was all very well, but he is a big horse and it is a small school. Following the rail was a bit pointless from his point of view and I can't say I blame him, six strides and he was across the narrow side. In light of this I felt we had now outgrown the indoor and needed to get outdoors. One added advantage from my point of view is that the surface outdoors is rubber and so should allow me to bounce better.
To prepare for the outdoors I of course followed the plan. In the prepare to ride section we did loads of circling until he was confident in all parts of the new surroundings and also zone 3 driving to check for spooky parts of the schools edge. He was a little unconfident in one area so this became the area of rest and relaxation between circling and driving games. The first day I did not even attempt to ride as it took at least and hour to get him into the state of mind where I would want to be on top and by then it was getting dark. Since then however I have managed two very pleasant rides, only at walk but with confidence and reasonable obedience.
The first one I just concentrated on Follow the Rail. He offered it with no compulsion from me. After all these weeks of getting him to go forward I was hardly going to chastise him for walking on this occasion. Time to get particular about such things can be left to the future for now.
I have just started reading Mark Rashid' book, "Horses Never Lie" and he has a brilliant description of why riding with focus is so important (though he doesn't call it riding with focus). I knew that it was important from James Roberts clinics but the behavioural aspects had not really sunken in. Mark puts it well and I thoroughly recommend getting a copy.
Riding Billy with focus is really key. Riding actively with my seat is also important, but in a way is the same thing. Now, I am not pushing with my legs, seat or anything else, I am just trying to move in rhythm with his body and stay out of its' way so that we ride together rather than me riding on him (if that makes sense ?). Should I fail to keep up my end of this bargain then he stops. This is actually a desired outcome of my stopping riding so again there is no criticism from me if he does the desired thing because I get lazy.
The second ride was on our bareback pad as Ritchie is trying to sell our saddle to pay for a western one. This really helped with staying in rhythm with his body as I could feel it so much better. Not recommended for a long ride however as he is very bony even through a pad. On this occasion I introduced walk to indirect rein and we managed some very nice changes of direction. We then moved to indirect/direct rein and again it all went more or less as advertised with just a little resistance at times.
I am not claiming that all of this looks very pretty, follow the rail is not exactly straight yet but we have started learning our ABCs of the language of riding.

As for Filly. She is heavily in season. As with many such Fillies, handle with care and compassion !!

No comments: