A chilled Filly

Wednesday 3 August 2011

Hanging out with a friend

I have not been able to play with Filly for a long while now, but I have been visiting her in her field. Spending undemanding time with your horse is so important for the rapport part of the relationship, and so it has proved in this case. I have come to realise that true undemanding time is just hanging around them in their field. I don't feel that taking them online for a quiet graze has the same benefits as just becoming a part of the herd.
The first few times I hobbled down to the field she was really a bit indifferent to my presence, not avoiding me but not actively approaching either. Recently she has been walking straight up to me, leaving her field mate in the process. Believe me it is a great feeling when your horse chooses to be with you willingly instead of grudgingly. She normally gives me a careful sniff, especially my head, accepts a quick stroke and then it is back to grazing. But she sticks near to me as she eats, moving around with me as she would another herd member which I hope I have now become.
To many it may sound a boring way to spend time with your horse, but do you know which bit of a thistle your horse loves to eat ? I do. The flower and the root. She actually pulls them up turns them round and chews the roots, leaving me to wonder how on earth she learned that skill as I have never seen Moo do it. The benefit of this knowledge is that I can now feed her thistle heads and roots as a treat, further enhancing the bond. (Use gloves !!) I can also walk to an area where they are growing so that she sees me as a leader who understands her wants. Not just a dominant leader but one that supplies food and water as well.
S0 spending time with the horse with no agenda has many benefits which may not become apparent until you try it. It need not be a whole day as Gwani Pony Boy suggests, just 10 minutes or so every now and then. Whilst doing it open yourself up to what the horse is feeling and really observe the smallest behaviour. I will now, occasionally, make a point of spending undemanding time with her because I enjoy it and get a real satisfaction seeing a small part of how Filly goes about her daily life. Slowing down to their pace of life is a great way to relax as well.

No comments: