A chilled Filly

Friday 12 August 2011

A new member of the herd

Filly is now sharing a field with two other mares. Her original friend "Moo" and now "Rosie". It has been interesting observing the integration of Rosie into the herd. Into is a bit strong at the moment as she is not fully accepted yet.
On the first day of observation Rosie was definitely the outcast. But she wanted company so followed the other two around. Moo seemed happy enough, but Filly as herd leader was not. Lots of ear back driving displays if Rosie got too close to either Moo or, surprisingly, me. Rosie tried to retaliate but her heart was clearly not in it and she soon backed away a few paces. On one occasion Rosie got a bit too close behind Filly and I had a wonderful display of phases in the horse language. Filly started by pawing at the ground for at least 15 seconds. She then gave a little annoyed squeal flattened her ears and glanced round. All the time her nose was near the ground and she took the odd bite of grass. Rosie did not take the hint so Filly kicked back with just one leg, no chance of making contact but another phase. At this Rosie kicked with both legs, turned and moved away a few feet much to Filly's satisfaction and peace was restored. Two things stood out. 1) The slow and patient phases Filly used 2) The immediate relaxation of all concerned after the incident was over.
Today it seems that Rosie is accepted a little more but Filly still uses the odd dominance display (driving game usually) to assert her dominance. She was also far more relaxed with me today and was very happy for me to follow her around and waft flies off her. She still left from time to time to take care of herd business, but then either returned to me or let me re-approach.
It was also interesting to observe them eating various bits of the hedge. In particular the fact that when one did they all did despite the fact that they had all been eating grass within feet of the hedge for a long time. The desire to conform within the herd was clearly very strong and I would surmise helped to bind the herd together.
Many people will wonder what this has to do with learning to be a horseman. Everything in my view. Very few others, I have noticed, take the time for this sort of study and intense observation even if the horse (or, as in my case, the human) is lame and they can't do anything else. They tend to just "use" their horse to ride or school, training them to fit into our world. For me this is not good enough, to be a true partner I have to understand some part of their world as well. If I neglect this then I am not being a partner but a user. This may sound a bit strong but over the last 18 months it is something that I have really come to believe in. It may mean it takes me longer to get to a particular standard of riding but I hope it will lay the foundation to let me take my entire horsemanship, not just the riding bit, further than would otherwise be possible.

No comments: