A chilled Filly

Saturday 14 May 2011

Return to the yard

Yesterday was a big day for me. I went back to the yard to see my friends Filly and Billy. Filly's reaction in particular was interesting.
When we arrived she was in her field right next to where we park. As I got out of the car she came trotting over, but then saw the crutches and a chair we had taken for me to sit on. Suddenly she was very confused and backed away with ears pricked, snorting. I just calmly spoke to her in the hopes she would remember my voice. She tried very hard to approach, but to start with would only get to within a few feet of me and no closer. Lots of curiosity, mixed with caution. She played her own game of approach and retreat. She would come up close, lots of head tilting to try and get me in focus then back away and graze, always facing towards me and only for a few seconds. Her attention was clearly on me as she picked at the small amount of grass near the gate. This was displacement behaviour of course. If she really wanted grass she only had to go another few yards to get to the good stuff.
Slowly she got closer and closer until she could touch me and spend extended time near me. It is not very scientific but I felt that she really recognised me and put effort in getting used to the crutches so she could be near me. She then stayed near me the whole time I was around the field.
Location is everything. Later when she was in her stable she was again unconfident when I walked up on my curtches, but recovered rapidly and stood very quietly as I stroked her. She was so much more gentle than usual that I wonder if she realised I was not fit and able to take part in boisterous play. I spent much more time now getting her used to the crutches, using approach and retreat, until I could rub her head and neck with them.
As for Billy he just accepted me immediately with no un-confidence about the crutches. He did abandon his food to say hi which was nice, and gave several of his belches which normally means we have a happy confident Billy.
Now I just need to get on with the training again. This is not going to be easy, but a way will be found. One of the girls at the yard has agreed to help me with Billy. She wants to learn some of the Natural Horsemanship skills and as I am going to be around a lot in the near future this would seem to be a good time to get her started.

No comments: